What is the Cumbria Business Startup Support Programme?
The Cumbria Business Startup Support Programme is a free county-wide programme designed to encourage enterprise and help new businesses get off the ground, supporting them in their pre-start phase and challenging early years of trading. tart up courses, workshops and one-to-one advice are all available, as is access to resources and potential subsidies. It is designed specifically for people thinking of starting in business and young businesses in their first three years of trading.
Objectives of the Fund:
Growth Hubs work with local and national, public and private sector partners – such as Chambers of Commerce, Federation of Small Businesses, universities, Enterprise Zones and banks, co-ordinating local business support and connecting businesses to the right help for their needs. Growth Hubs focus on the tangible delivery of business support within each region, providing face-to-face professional advice to businesses and signposting them to the best resources from both the public and private sector within the area.
Capital funding is available to support a wide range of activities including:
- New farm technologies to improve profitability and sustainability.
- Micro and small rural businesses, including community and social enterprises, to start up and grow and to provide improvements in productivity and efficiency.
- Farm diversifications including adding value to farm produce and diversification into non-farming activity.
- Small scale tourism projects, such as new and existing visitor attractions, accommodation and activities.
- Enterprising community projects such as multi use space hubs for key services, innovative technologies and products, small scale community infrastructure projects.
- Forestry investments in new machinery and equipment and to add value to forestry products.
- Culture and heritage projects including restoration and conservation of buildings, enhancement of cultural activities etc.
The grant is open to anyone thinking of starting a business and small to medium-sized businesses less than 3 years old. The package of free support includes a three-day course covering the basics of starting a business, plus a range of one and half-day workshops run throughout the county.
Through 1-2-1 sessions with our experienced team of business advisers, fledgling businesses can:
- Review and develop their business idea
- Produce or update their business plan
- Receive practical advice on a range of business-related topics
- Access sources of finance and wider support