What is the Independent Retailer Grant?
The Independent Retail Fund (IRF) is a shopfront improvement grant available to tenants and owners of occupied shop units on Saltmarket and High Street. The Independent Retailer Grant of £1,200 is available to encourage independently-owned retailers to take up vacant space. The £1,200 (applications received on or after 1 April 2021) is designed to attract independent retailers into vacant premises in Romsey and Andover, and is one of a series of measure to support the town centres.
What are the conditions of the grant?
- All grants offered through the scheme will require a guarantee of match-funding from the business owner
- A minimum of two quotes from contractors will be required
- Payment will only be made on completion of the work and bank account evidence being provided that full payment has been made to the contractor
- Grant value to be no more than £5,000.
Who can apply?
- The business must be an independent retailer with no more than five shops
- The project must meet the requirements of our ‘Design Guide’ – attached at the bottom of this page.
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate how their shop front improvement will improve the look of the business and have a positive impact on the surrounding area. Like for like schemes or general maintenance work will not be eligible.
- New or existing businesses moving into ground floor premises which have been vacant for at least one month.
Examples of internal and non-display improvements that would generally not be funded by the scheme:
- Lighting within window displays
- Window display products and equipment
- Pedestrian access improvements
- Repair and reinstatement of guttering
- Externally mounted security features
You must make a separate planning application / advertising consent application with scale drawings that show the extent of all new work, prior to applying for funding.